Thursday 22 November 2012

Best and Worst Foundation- Drugstore and High-end

I am a foundation junkie. Cream, gel, liquid, mineral, BB cream- you name it, I've tried it. Of course, there are a whole load of great products out there (as well as a fair few terrible ones) so here are my thoughts on just a few of the best and worst on the market.

I'm hoping to keep this post short and sweet in comparison to my last one, so today I'll only be covering liquid products. Powder will have to wait its turn!

THE BEST



Mac Face and Body (my shade is N1)


http://www.maccosmetics.co.uk/product/shaded/158/393/Products/Face/Foundation/Face-And-Body-Foundation/index.tmpl

Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Totally. Spending £26 on a foundation might not seem a lot to some people, but for me it's a substantial amount of money. The great thing about this product is its size. It's a huge bottle (120ml) meaning that it lasts a really long time. I've had one bottle for about a year, even though I use it about 4 times a week. It's really sheer with a buildable coverage, so it's not to everyone's taste, but it works well for my skin- especially in the summer when I don't need anything too heavy. It's a little bit dark for me, but Mac don't make a lighter version, so if you're an NW15 like me, be careful. Oh, and you'll have to set this foundation really well with a good powder if you want it to last as it tends to slide off the skin a bit.

Mac Studio Sculpt (My shade is NW15)


http://www.maccosmetics.co.uk/product/shaded/158/4386/Products/Face/Foundation/Studio-Sculpt-SPF-15-Foundation/index.tmpl

This is the newest foundation in my collection, and so far, my favourite. It's gel based, so lasts all day even without a primer, and leaves a beautifully smooth medium satin coverage. It matches my skin colour perfectly (as ever with Mac, there's a huge range of shades), and I love the tube style packaging. It's not a cheap foundation so I want to be able to squeeze out every little bit and get my money's worth! I also love the fact it's got an SPF in it as it's good to know you've got a little extra protection on top of your moisturizer/sun block.

Revlon ColourStay (My shade is 150- buff)


No link I'm afraid, the Boots website didn't want to cooperate. (RRP £8.99)

Bit of a controversial one- people seem to either love of hate this product. You have to blend it really fast, because it sets quickly and tends to cling to patches of dry skin if you're not careful. However, with a liberal application of primer and a good brush (come to me, Real Techniques buffer!) it's gorgeous. Revlon ColourStay provides a fairly heavy coverage with a matte finish- covering all manner of skin-based disasters, and it gives you a total confidence boost, so I like to see it as a "push-up bra for the face". It's my go-to foundation for when my complexion won't behave itself, and I like the fact I don't have to touch it up in the middle of the day. My one tip is to make sure you moisturize properly if you get slightly dry skin. If your skin is really dry, stay away entirely. It won't flatter you.



THE WORST


Benefit You Rebel Lite Tinted Moisturizer


http://www.benefitcosmetics.co.uk/product/view/you-rebel-lite

Yes, yes. I know it's not officially a foundation, but I want to scream from the rooftops about how bad this is. I dislike benefit as a brand in general as I find it overpriced and bad quality (although they have produced some corkers- Hula Bronzer, High Beam, Lemon Aid), but I thought I'd give this product the benefit (Ha) of the doubt and try it out with an open mind. Biggest waste of £23.50 I could imagine. I bought the "lite" version because I have the complexion of a dead person, but it's so yellow. I don't know of anyone who possesses skin with such a repulsively neon hue, but they need to see a doctor. Even if you do persevere and  put the stuff on your face, it melts off in seconds leaving a sticky, greasy residue as if you've cleansed with the contents of a deep fat fryer. However, I never like to waste a product- especially not one so expensive- so I've been known to apply a conservative amount to act as an SPF under my foundation or to tackle unusually dry skin around my eyes. Benefit describe this product as "defiantly different"- probably because it's more awful than any other tinted moisturizer on the market.

Rant over.


Maybelline SuperStay 24hr (my shade is ivory)


http://www.boots.com/en/Maybelline-Superstay-24hr-Foundation_1042352/

Mayebelline is probably my favourite brand for a small budget, but this foundation is truly awful. It's thick, sticky, and way too orange- even in a light shade. I bought this online, and "ivory" seemed to be the lightest, but it looks horrendous on my skin, and I'll have to give it away to someone with a bit more of a tan. Not that anyone will want it though as it's a nightmare to apply and look totally uneven if you attempt to blend it over even the slightest of imperfections. I found it really patchy as well, and it gives you a horrible sensation of having something very heavy on your skin all day. It melts so much in the heat that when I take my glasses off, the inside of the frame is covered in orange goop. I'd stay away from this one, but do try out Maybelline's other products... their smokey eye pencil is amazing!


That's all for today, but I've got my eye on Chantecaille's "Just Skin" (I won't let go of that £57 without a fight!)

Rach
xx


No comments:

Post a Comment