Tuesday 6 November 2012

Top 4 High Street (drugstore) Lipsticks

So, my last post was a little bit high end for my liking! It's not that I don't like expensive make up- I lust after it- but that's not what this blog is all about. Today, like a true penny-pincher, I'm introducing the 4 high street (or drugstore to our friends across the pond) lipsticks I cannot live without. Here they are:


From left to right we have: 17 Shine On in "Flirty", Barry M Lip Paint number 150, Maybelline Colour Sensational in "Midnight Plum", Elf Lipstick in Sociable.

Same order applies to the swatches below.


As you can see, the first two colours are neutral, everyday colours. The second two colours are bright and brave- ideal for parties and nights out while still being wearable.

17 Shine On in "Flirty"
I bought this six months ago, and I don't think they still make it! I wish I'd bought more of these at the time, because it's a really soft and silky formula. It's a muted rose colour- almost nude. I wear it a lot and it matches almost all make up looks. It's not as shiny as the name would have you believe; but I like that as I think it makes it far more wearable. The only problem is that it isn't terribly long lasting, so reapplication throughout the day is necessary. I can't remember what it cost, but I imagine it was under a fiver. 

Oh, apologies for the horrible lighting. I should also mention that all the pictures are without lip liner or gloss so you can see the true colour.


Barry M Lip Paint number 150
Apart from my Mac Mattene Lipstick in "delectable", this is my favourite nude! In fact, they're really similar in both colour and consistency. It's gorgeous and creamy and really long lasting, with slightly browner undertones than the 17 product. It's also more matte than the previous product, which I personal like, but I occasionally mix things up with a layer of gloss. I wouldn't be without this one, and it's available for the very reasonable price of £4.49.

Maybelline Colour Sensational in "Midnight Plum"
With winter on its way, I couldn't resist this lovely dark colour to jazz up my look. It's a little bit daring as it's very dark with a considerably amount of shimmer (doesn't show up in the picture very well). Also very creamy, and super long lasting- making it ideal for parties. It does tend to stain the lips a little, so don't forget a balm underneath. It cost £7.19, and I have another from this range in a nude which is almost identical to the Barry M.


Elf Lipstick in Sociable
This is undoubtedly the cheapest item in my collection. Elf sent it to me by accident when I place a huge order with them a few weeks back (although I'd happily repurchase it for the grand price tag of £1.50). I was skeptical at first- glittery raspberry isn't my colour. But no, I was wrong! It's a really fun, playful colour and if you don't have the guts to wear it full-on, it's easy enough to tone down with a brown gloss. It's kind of a strange one, because the lipstick itself is matte, but it has rather large chunks of glitter in it. Not something I'd normally go for, but it really works! The great thing about this lippy is that it lasts and lasts and lasts, but it takes a little work to make it go on totally smoothly. I absolutely love it though, and I plan on purchasing all of the Elf lipsticks in the future. 

Oo-er, be prepared for the unsightly close-up of my face- complete with huge dark circles from too much coffee and too little sleep.

Right, that should be enough to settle my conscience about banging on about high end products! Although saying that, I'm off to London this weekend and I'm going to irresponsibly squander some of my birthday money in the Mac store and Space NK. Be prepared for a post!

Rach xx

No comments:

Post a Comment