Sunday 11 November 2012

Mini London Haul and Springsheen vs Orgasm

If you want to save money, don't go make up shopping in Covent Garden.

Having no will power whatsoever, Mac and Space NK proved too bigger a temptation for me, and in total I spent £92. Ouch. I'm struggling to justify that kind of expenditure, but I'm telling myself that they're staple products that have been missing from my collection, and it's birthday money, so I might as well enjoy it.

So here's what I got:


(Ha, just realised "Ricepaper" is upside down)

Nars Blush in the coveted "Orgasm"
God, I've wanted this for so long! Living in the middle of rural Devon, there isn't exactly an abundance of Nars stockists. In fact, the closest is 65 miles away in Bournemouth- somewhere I don't often venture. I was reluctant to buy it online due to the fact I couldn't test it out, which I think is vital when you're spending a lot of money on a product (in this case, £21). Anyway, it's just as gorgeous as I knew it would be. It's really shimmery yet wearable, and the peachy-pink tone is perfect with my skin. It feels as though it would be a really universal colour, so I'd recommend it to anyone. I'm not even going to mention the packaging; everyone knows how sexy it is. My one little grumble is the way I was treated by the staff in Space NK. The girl who served me was really rude and snobby, and it felt like she assumed that as a teenager, I'd know nothing about good quality make up- let alone be able to afford it. Not only this, but she was clearly anxious to serve me as quickly as possible so I'd leave the shop. I guess this isn't the fault of Nars though, but Space NK. Won't be shopping there again.

In my normal style: there's a terrible swatch for your enjoyment below.


This blush got me thinking. I've heard it's pretty similar to Mac's Springsheen, so I thought I'd test this out for myself.


Okay, so they're fairly close. However, "Orgasm" seems to have more of a pink tone, whereas "Springsheen" is more orange/peach based. I think I prefer the colour of the Nars product, but I'd say Springsheen is creamier and more pigmented. Nars blushes also happen to be £3.50 more expensive and 1.2 grams smaller than Mac blushes, but I'm happy to have both as I think they work equally well as everyday colours.

Mac Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation in NW15
I was shocked to be matched to NW15, as it's so so light. Seems to work really well though, and appeases my "winter skin" perfectly.The general online consensus is that it can make your skin look a bit dark and cake-y, so I think having an abnormally light shade might not be a bad thing. It's a heavy powder, with full coverage, so I'll be wearing it alone; without liquid foundation. I'm lucky to have well-behaved skin, so I don't need massive coverage, but I bought this for those "bad skin days" or when I'm feeling too lazy for proper foundation, and just want to dust on a bit of powder. The powder is presented in a lovely compact, with a large mirror, and a applicator sponge in the bottom compartment.


Mac Paint Pot in Painterly
My first Paint Pot! I've wanted one for a long time just to apply under eyeshadow. Being entirely lazy, I just couldn't be bothered to buy one previously because they're a bit boring. What I mean to say is that I'm a total magpie, and when I go into any make up shop, I head straight to the exciting shiny things and tend to ignore the staples. I'm so glad I bought this though because it's better than any eyeshadow primer I've ever used. "Painterly" is a neutral tone with a pink base, and is the closest Paint Pot to my skin colour.



Just to avoid confusion, "Painterly" is the top swatch. Ignore the eyeshadow below. I couldn't be bothered to wash my arm between swatches (that's dedication for you).

Mac Eyeshadow in "Brun" "Cork" and "Ricepaper"
Anyone who read my previous Mac eyeshadow collection post saw that I was desperately lacking basic neutrals. During my splurge in Covent Garden, I decided to rectify this, and purchased three shades: "Brun" "Cork" and "Ricepaper." "Brun" is the darkest of my choices, and is black-brown a satin finish. It's highly pigmented and will be a great crease colour; as well as a perfect match for my eyebrows. "Cork" is a mid tone warm brown. It's also a satin finish and one of those colours that can be quickly thrown on all over the lid for an easy look. The last colour is "Ricepaper" and I have to say I'm absolutely in love. It's a frost, making it very shimmery. It's really close to my skin tone, so doesn't show up terribly well in the swatch, but is a gorgeous highlight colour, without being quite as stark as something like "Nylon" or "Naked Lunch." I'm sure I'm going to be getting a lot of wear out of all of them.


Anyway, that's it for now, and I'll be keeping myself distracted to avoid any more little shopping sprees.
(apart from maybe Elf or Coastal Scents :P)

Rach xx

No comments:

Post a Comment