Monday 1 October 2012

A Few Bits and Pieces from mememecosmetics.co.uk

I've always been a fan of Groupon, and when a great deal on makeup comes up, I'm normally too easily swayed to resist. So when a £45 voucher to spend on mememecosmetics.co.uk was available for £18, I snapped it up!

To my knowledge, MeMeMe is a UK based company who sell into Superdrug stores across England. I've had one or two pieces from their range before, but I've never really given them that much thought. I picked out a few products from their website and they were delivered in 4 days. I think the products should have cost just under £50 altogether, but with my Groupon code I paid a lot less, excluding the rather pricey £3.95 delivery.

The products arrived securely packaged, and nothing was broken or damaged in any way. All good so far!

So, here's what I purchased!

  • Flawless Loose Powder (translucent)- £5.99
  • Correct and Perfect Concealer (buff)- £6.99
  • Shimmer Stack (pink)- normally £9.99, on sale for £7.99
  • Boho Balm Lip and Cheek Tint (taupe/coral)- £6.50
  • Dew Pots (Woodland Truffle, Deadly Berry, Silk Dusk)- £7.25




As you can see, the packaging is really lovely; especially the Boho Balm which has a bit of a vintage feel to it. The main perk is the mirror in the shimmer stack compact. It's HUGE, making it ideal for chucking in your bag ready for on-the-go touch ups.

Honestly, I was disappointed with the Dew Pots. Nothing wrong with the consistency or quality; it's just the colours weren't quite what I was expecting. I was hoping that Woodland truffle would be an ever-so-slightly shimmery neutral shade, but it seems I've ended up with an incredibly glittery dark gold. Pretty, but not what I wanted. I was also expecting Silk Dusk to be a darker reddish pink, but it's a muted shade of rose- very warm with a lot of shimmer. Deadly Berry, on the other hand, is far browner that the website suggests and less sparkly than the others which is interesting. Nice enough, but it's very, very dark. I guess this just goes to show the perils of buying make up online.


(L to R: Woodland Truffle, Silk Dusk, Deadly Berry)

Moving on, I'll just mention a few words about the Boho Balm, as this is one of MeMeMe's most popular products. It's advertised as a lip and cheek tint, and I believe it is available in two varieties. Saying this, the only one available on the website was the coral and taupe one, which suited me just fine. I gave it a little go and on the lips it's stunning in either shade- long lasting and nicely pigmented. Maybe it's just me, but it was HORRIBLE on my cheeks. Honestly- I looked like I had some kind of unfortunate skin condition due to its sticky, blotchy finish. I was going to post a picture, but it was just too much of a train wreck. Sorry. 

Coral on the left, taupe on the right. You get 11g of product, which is a decent amount for something I'll only really use as a lip colour.










Taupe on the top, coral on the bottom. Note that the taupe is slightly pinker than it appears in the tub. Maybe this is why it looks so horrific on my face.










I'm not going to bang on for too long about the Shimmer Stack or Flawless Powder. They're both decent products and do what they say on the tin. However, the gem of this little haul is undoubtedly the concealer kit. I was a bit nervous about buying something I couldn't match, but I went for the lightest shade to suit my Twilight-esque skin colour. It's a perfect fit- warm enough to be brightening without being too intense. It's a creamy product making it comparable to MAC's Studio Finish, but I think that this is even better. The cream is coupled with a translucent powder which sits in a little screw tub below the main product. When this is applied over the concealer it gives the most beautiful flawless finish and can cover all manner of blemishes no problem at all. The power is best applied with a fluffy eyeshadow blush. I'm currently using a Sephora one. My one little grumble is the lack on shades available, as there aren't any shades suitable for dark skin. Poor show, MeMeMe!



















I'm sure I'm going to have a lot of fun messing around with my new products. All in all, ordering from a company I know next to nothing about has been an interesting experience, and I certainly wouldn't have done it at full price. In all honesty, I'm not entirely sure that some of these products were worth their price tag. £7.25 a pop for a bog-standard cream eyeshadow seems a bit steep, but I would have happily paid double what I did for the concealer. Just goes to show- you win some, you lose some.

No comments:

Post a Comment